[webkit-qt] QtWebKit 2.0 and Qt 4.7

Simon Hausmann simon.hausmann at nokia.com
Wed Mar 10 03:42:10 PST 2010

Hi,

The next feature release of Qt is going to be versioned 4.7, and its schedule
happens to be very close to our QtWebKit 2.0 schedule. In fact the plan is to
be done with Qt 4.7 in week 19 and we are aiming at week 18 for QtWebKit 2.0.

From the Qt side we'd like to include the latest releases of QtWebKit in
src/3rdparty/webkit, so once we cut a release we can import it into Qt's
master branch. Qt's master branch becomes 4.7, 4.8, 4.9, etc. when it feature
freezes, which technically happened already for 4.7.

Strictly speaking by these rules QtWebKit 2.0 will become part of Qt 4.8.
However if we want to - and I would really like to hear your opinions here -
then we _do_ have the option of tying ourselves to Qt 4.7 and include QtWebKit
2.0 there.

There are pros and cons for such a move. I'm going to list a few I can think
of. Henry and others, please add any missing points.

Pros:

   * More widespread distribution of the release together with Qt 4.7.
   * Free deployment - especially on the desktop platforms - as part of the Qt
4.7 binary packaging.
    * More feedback by participating in the beta release cycles.

Cons:

   * We have to release at the same time as 4.7 comes out, or earlier. If
we're late, then 4.7 becomes delayed, too.
   * Increased pressure on us by adding another stakeholder (the Qt 4.7
program).

What do you guys think?

Simon

(For the record: I'm currently not really in favour of tying the two)