[webkit-qt] Inconsistent acceleration of linear gradients and atlas maps

Jonathan Morton jonathan.morton at movial.com
Thu Jul 8 10:25:03 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 09:41 -0700, Ariya Hidayat wrote:
> > It looks very much as though this is something that QtGui can already
> > pass straight to XRender.  So why is the Raster backend being used for
> > it instead?
>
> There are several cases where the painter falls back to the raster engine.
>
> But, as I mentioned before, without knowing the code path from the
> client side (WebKit) which hits some specific QPainter function in
> some particular use case, it's hard to find the root cause.
>
> While I'm still learning graphics, usually it's not difficult for me
> to find out why, if the information above is provided.

Here are some suspicious places that showed up in the tracebacks from
XGetImage():

WebCore::GraphicsContext::fillRect
WebCore::GraphicsContext::drawRect
WebCore::Image::drawPattern
WebCore::RenderTableCell::paintCollapsedBorder
WebCore::Font::drawComplexText
QCommonStyle::drawPrimitive

All of these go straight to the Raster backend without going through any
intermediate X11 backend methods.

--
------
From: Jonathan Morton