[webkit-qt] Tests in Skipped List that Pass with Pixel Differences

Robert Hogan lists at roberthogan.net
Mon Apr 19 12:45:24 PDT 2010

Hi Andras!

[Just to clarify what I mean when I say 'pixel differences' - I'm referring
to differences in non-plaintext dumprendertree results, usually due to
different font width etc.]

On Sunday 18 April 2010 23:35:49 Andras Becsi wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> this is a great plan.
> The only issue is that we are also facing this kind of pixel differences
>   - between different releases of Qt: for example a Qt 4.6.2 build has
> ~300 failing tests on the bot which pass on a 4.6.1 build,
>   - between different distributions: our buildbot runs Debian Lenny but
> developers frequently note that they have 300-500 different results on
> other distributions or other versions of the same distributions, and we
> also experience this problem on our ARMv5 tester, which might or might
> not be related to package version differences too.

Like nearly everyone else (by the sounds of it) I'm a victim of both of
these problems. In the short to medium term this situation is unlikely to
go away - at least until reftests happen.

So until then we are left with choosing a baseline and making that work so
that we can establish which failures in the skipped list are actual bugs. I
agree there are definite downsides to doing this, as you have identified,
but that provided a group of us (including a reviewer or two) can commit to
working the plan then we will at least have one computer in the world
passing all the layout tests it has a right to pass!

Am I right in thinking the linux release buildbot is 4.6.1? I thought I
heard somewhere it was 4.5. Whichever it is I propose we treat the buildbot
as a baseline and use the exercise I've described to indentify all the
tests in the current Skipped list that can be unskipped because their pixel
differences are not relevant to the outcome of the test. We will then be
left with genuine bugs in trunk qtwebkit/qt 4.6.1.

Once that exercise is complete we move the bot to 4.7, run webkit-tests and
find ourselves with a whole bunch of tests that now fail. These are either
genuine regressions or unimportant pixel differences. We will then have to
repeat the exercise above to get rid of the false positives.

That sounds like a horrible prospect but there are a couple of reasons it
might be ok:

- I think there is a lower chance of tests that pass on the buildbot with
4.6.1 failing on the buildbot with 4.7, unless they are genuine qt bugs.
That is because I believe the tests failing in other build environments are
due to setup other than qt/webkit. Is there any way of confiriming or
disconfirming this?

- A lot of the failures are likely to be the same failures that we
encountered when working through the pixel differences in 4.5

So in summary:

- There are an awful lot of Skipped tests in fast/ and editing/ - we
confine this effort to those.
- We block upgrading the buildbot until they are all unskipped or proven to
be actual bugs. We keep a file in the platform/qt folder documenting the
decision to unskip each test and why.
- Once the effort is complete and we upgrade some subset of these will
break again. We work through the failures against the file
created/maintained in the step above and amend the expected results where
we can see there has been no actual regression.
- Then repeat steps above for all new failures from the upgrade.

What do you think? There are 2100 tests skipped in fast and editing. I
would say a first pass could result in 500 getting unskipped.

In the absence of a magic bullet that helps us eliminate the failures due
to build environment differences this, or something like it, appears to be
what we're left with going forward.