[webkit-help] trying to install wpewebkit-stable.tar.xz from source ...

Albretch Mueller lbrtchx at gmail.com
Mon May 30 13:24:04 PDT 2022

 First I (w)got Webkit's sources for Linux:

 https://webkit.org/downloads/
 https://wpewebkit.org/releases

 https://wpewebkit.org/releases/wpewebkit-stable.tar.xz

 after downloading and untar(ing) wpewebkit-stable.tar.xz I see:

$ cd wpewebkit-2.36.3/

$ ls -l
total 32
-rw-r--r--  1 lbrtchx lbrtchx  2033 Feb 23 05:41 CMakeLists.txt
drwxr-xr-x  4 lbrtchx lbrtchx  4096 May 30 12:20 Documentation
-rw-r--r--  1 lbrtchx lbrtchx 12338 May 28 04:59 NEWS
drwxr-xr-x 12 lbrtchx lbrtchx  4096 May 30 12:20 Source
drwxr-xr-x  7 lbrtchx lbrtchx  4096 May 30 12:20 Tools
$
~
 What do I do next?

 cmake is installed in my box:

$ which cmake
/usr/bin/cmake

$ cmake --version
cmake version 3.18.4
CMake suite maintained and supported by Kitware (kitware.com/cmake).
~
 I have spent some time online but I only got 55 hits when I searched
on: wpewebkit-stable.tar.xz install source
 Somewhat functional instructions I found at:
linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/x/webkitgtk.html
 but they were not using the stable package and their installation
steps were a bit too "involved".
 I am on Debian 11 (bullseye) and I will be using java/graalvm
because, in addition to using Webkit's JavaScriptCore, I need to
seamlessly integrate the python, Node.js and javascript runtimes that
come with the graalvm.
 Basically I need to somehow find a way to get the stream of text of
the page after JavaScriptCore has taken care of spelling out all such
things as document.write(...), innerHTML.eval(), … right before it
reaches Webkits layout engine.
 Probably, since you are the ones keeping your eyes and mind on this
project you have seen such thing being done before or could share some
tips about how it could be done.
 Thank you,
 lbrtchx