[webkit-help] Error When Building Webkit using Xcode

Alexey Proskuryakov ap at webkit.org
Fri Sep 10 09:19:01 PDT 2021

> 10 сент. 2021 г., в 7:20 AM, tenghu guo <guotenghu at gmail.com> написал(а):
>
> I am building Webkit using Xcode13-beta5 on Mac OS 11.5.2.
> The Webkit version is https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/commit/3c1c36edd118f38cb11257e8c6a7f33642209a46 <https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/commit/3c1c36edd118f38cb11257e8c6a7f33642209a46>.
>
> I had run the two scripts:
> 1. sudo Tools/Scripts/configure-xcode-for-embedded-development
> 2.  ./Tools/Scripts/build-webkit --debug --ios-simulator
>
> But I had error:
> The following build commands failed:
> Ld /Users/teguo/code/WebKit/WebKitBuild/Debug-iphonesimulator/TestWebKitAPI normal x86_64

This is difficult to investigate without a full build log. It could well be that you happened to pull a revision that was legitimately failing to build.

The good news is that TestWebKitAPI is a test project built after WebKit is built, so perhaps you have everything that you need at this point?

> I know I need to use proper Xcode for a given Webkit version. Where can I find the info?
> If I want to build Webkit on Mac OS, which Xcode version and Webkit version should I use?

Xcode 12.x is the best version to use when targeting macOS 11 or iOS 14; Xcode 13 is correct for the beta versions of macOS 12 or iOS 15.

- Alexey