[webkit-help] Building wincairo on Windows 10 64bit

Isaac Devine isaac at devinesystems.co.nz
Thu Nov 5 21:32:41 PST 2015

Hi,

I'm trying to build the wincairo webkit port with Visual Studio 2015
(community edition) by following the instructions on:

 * http://www.webkit.org/building/tools.html
 * http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/BuildingOnWindows#WebKit_Libraries
 * http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/BuildingCairoOnWindows

However I was unsuccessful in using the supplied cygwin installer and
instead used the cygwin64 installer from cygwin.org

After installing all of the dependencies, when I try to build with:

However when I try to build (from the cygwin prompt) via:
$ PROGRAMFILES="C:\\Program Files (x86)" Tools/Scripts/build-webkit
--wincairo --release

It is unable to download the WinCairoRequirements.headers file (even though
it can download the WinCairoRequirements.zip).

If I manually change this so that it extracts the zip regardless I can
continue the build.

Also it seems to ignore the windows-style paths I have set in
WEBKIT_OUTPUTDIR and WEBKIT_LIBRARIES and instead has them as
"/WebkitBuild" and "/WebkitLibraries/win" in unix style; which corresponds
to "C:\cygwin64\WebkitBuild" & "C:\cygwin64\WebkitLibraries" respectively.

The build output seems to go to a mix of C:\cygwin64\WebkitBuild and
C:\cygwin64\home\isaac\WebKit\WebkitBuild.

The build eventually fails by WTL not finding unicode\uchar.h in the
include directories, e.g.:

C:\cygwin64\home\isaac\WebKit\Source\WTF\wtf/text/ASCIIFastPath.h(26):
fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'unicode/utypes.h': No such
file or directory (compiling source file
C:\cygwin64\home\isaac\WebKit\Source\WTF\wtf\Assertions.cpp)
[C:\cygwin64\home\isaac\WebKit\WebKitBuild\Release\Source\WTF\wtf\WTF.vcxproj]

Looking into the generated project files the additional include directories
are (if I have not defined WEBKIT_OUTPUTDIR or WEBKIT_LIBRARIES):
<AdditionalIncludeDirectories>C:\cygwin64\WebKitBuild\Release\DerivedSources\ForwardingHeaders;C:\cygwin64\WebKitBuild\Release\DerivedSources;\WebKitLibraries\win\include;C:\cygwin64\home\isaac\WebKit\Source\bmalloc;C:\cygwin64\home\isaac\WebKit\Source\WTF;C:\cygwin64\home\isaac\WebKit\Source\WTF\wtf;C:\cygwin64\home\isaac\WebKit\Source\WTF\wtf\dtoa;C:\cygwin64\home\isaac\WebKit\Source\WTF\wtf\text;C:\cygwin64\home\isaac\WebKit\Source\WTF\wtf\threads;C:\cygwin64\home\isaac\WebKit\Source\WTF\wtf\unicode;C:\cygwin64\home\isaac\WebKit\Source\ThirdParty;C:\cygwin64\WebKitBuild\Release;%(AdditionalIncludeDirectories)</AdditionalIncludeDirectories>

If do have WEBKIT_OUTPUTDIR and WEBKIT_LIBRARIES defined:

The directories aren't specified correctly, i.e:
"\WebkitBuild\include" instead of "C:\cygwin64\WebkitBuild\include"

What am I doing wrong here?

Is there a more complete and up-to-date guide on building the wincairo port
with visual studio 2015?

Cheers,
Isaac