[webkit-help] resource-request-starting and never match

Benjamin Poulain benjamin at webkit.org
Sat May 24 15:29:28 PDT 2014

In theory yes, in practice nobody is doing it.

To do anything, the WebKit engine needs to be between two layers:
-Below WebKit, there is a platform layer that does all the platform
interaction (network, IO, threading, rendering, multimedia handling, etc).
-Above WebKit, there is a GUI layer that does all the native UI for the
engine (handling views, windows, dialogs, etc).

On OS X and iOS, WebKit is completely independent from Safari. The
bottom layer is composed by the core frameworks of the system
(CFNetwork, CoreAnimation, CoreGraphics, etc). The upper layer is done
by Cocoa (OS X) or Cocoa Touch (iOS).

On Linux, there is no canonical libraries for either layers. The two
Linux ports of WebKit are GTK and EFL. Each port maintains its platform
layer and UI layer together. EFL and GTK share quite a bit of code on
the platform layer.

The Qt port of WebKit is no more, it was abandoned due to a lack of
resources.

It would be possible to write a Linux port independent of GTL/EFL/Qt
libraries. This even existed at some point (the Nix port). Nobody does
that at the moment.

Benjamin