[webkit-help] First time trying to compile WebKit on Ubuntu -- not going well

Patrick Chkoreff patrick at rayservers.net
Sun Mar 2 10:27:34 PST 2014

Žan Doberšek wrote, On 03/02/2014 12:26 PM:

> From the kernel version I assume you're using Ubuntu 12.04.

Yes, "ubuntu 12.04 LTS".

> Did you run the Tools/gtk/install-dependencies script? It will install
> all the additional packages required to build the GTK port of WebKit.

Yes, right after I sent my first email I discovered this helpful advice
from Osztrogonác Csaba (who I see has also replied to my email):

https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-help/2013-December/003662.html

I did these steps:

###[
$ sudo Tools/gtk/install-dependencies
# ... ^^ that went fine ...

$ Tools/Scripts/update-webkitgtk-libs
# ... ^^ that ran fine for a while and then BOOM:
*** module webkitgtk-testing-dependencies not built due to non buildable
gst-libav *** [28/28]
*** module webkitgtk-testing-dependencies not built due to non buildable
xserver *** [28/28]
*** the following modules were not built *** [28/28]
cairo gdk-pixbuf atk at-spi2-core at-spi2-atk gtk+ glib-networking
gnome-icon-theme gnome-icon-theme-symbolic librsvg gnome-themes-standard
libsoup gstreamer gst-plugins-base gst-plugins-good gst-plugins-bad
gst-libav xserver webkitgtk-testing-dependencies
Running jhbuild-wrapper build failed.
Died at Tools/Scripts/update-webkitgtk-libs line 24.
###]

Ugly business there.

> Also, you'll probably require a compiler of more recent version. For
> 12.04, I'd recommend getting GCC 4.8 from this PPA:
> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-toolchain-r/+archive/test

Funny yes, last night the webkit build was complaining about my gcc 4.6,
and last night I installed gcc 4.7.  It still complained, and I realized
I had to install g++ 4.7 as well.  So now I have:

###[
patrick at laptop:~$ gcc --version
gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.7.3-2ubuntu1~12.04) 4.7.3

patrick at laptop:~$ g++ --version
g++ (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.7.3-2ubuntu1~12.04) 4.7.3
###]

However, it sounds like I might need to go even more bleeding edge there
and grab 4.8 as you say.  We'll see.  Meantime I'm gonna reply to
Csaba's email separately.

> Cheers,
> Zan

Thanks!