[webkit-help] How to successfully build Webkit on Ubuntu

brian watson brianwatson999999 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 06:04:39 PST 2013

Hi,
   I've only been using Linux for a few months and am trying to get Webkit
to build on Ubuntu, but I've been having lots of problems.

1. Ubuntu 13.04 running inside VirtualBox
2. Downloaded the Webkit source code  from webkit.org
3. I enter the following commands as well as others:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webkit-team

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install subversion gtk-doc-tools autoconf automake libtool
libgtk2.0-dev libpango1.0-dev libicu-dev libxslt-dev libsoup2.4-dev
libsqlite3-dev gperf bison flex libjpeg62-dev libpng12-dev libxt-dev
autotools-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev libenchant-dev libgail-dev

svn checkout http://svn.webkit.org/repository/webkit/trunk ~/src/WebKit

4. I run the configuration command: ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
5. I get the following error in config.log:
conftest.c:28:18: fatal error: glib.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminate

What I would like to do is change the makefile such that I can add a new or
different include path so that /usr/include/glib-2.0 is picked up for
glib.h, but I can't find the makefile involved. I see some references to
glib.h in aclocal.m4, but the file is auto generated.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm stuck :-).

Thanks,
   Brian