[webkit-help] tryFastMalloc usage

Sriram Neelakandan sriram.neelakandan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 21:24:02 PDT 2012

webkit's fastmalloc is built on top of tc-malloc and all allocations call
to fastmalloc must fallback on to tc-malloc's impl of malloc including
tryFastMalloc

I think u must have missed this line
#define malloc fastMalloc

Try doing a -E (preprocess) instead of -c on the FastMalloc.cpp

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 5:20 AM, Fabrice Robinet <cmg473 at motorola.com>wrote:

> Hi group,
>
> In short: I wonder where tryFastMalloc should be used, and what's *really*
> implemented in it (or should be).
>
> Longer story:
> According to the .cpp, it is supposed to use a cache, which would justify
> the "fast" in the function name.
>
> From FastMalloc.cpp
>
> // A malloc that uses a per-thread cache to satisfy small malloc requests.
>
> // (The time for malloc/free of a small object drops from 300 ns to 50 ns.)
>
> But looking at the current source tryFastMalloc looks to just wrap
> malloc. (I just updated Chromium and thus WebCore too...),
>
> I have seen tryFastMalloc used in WebCore code that is not too old (like
> WebGL),
> so I believe it is not deprecated and *should* be used, so this raises a
> couple of questions:
>
> Is current state of tryFastMalloc temporary in the sense that a cache will
> be used eventually ?
> Did I miss something about this cache in the implementation ?
> Are there (updated) guidelines about the usage of tryFastMalloc ?
>
> Thanks,
> Fabrice.

Sriram Neelakandan
Author - Embedded Linux System Design And Development (
http://tinyurl.com/2doosu)