[webkit-help] WinCairo Build system and other bits

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 19:54:33 PST 2012

Hi Leonardo,

On Jan 12, 2012, at 9:16 AM, Leonardo Carneiro wrote:

> I got the source a few days ago and I am using revision 104446M. The WinCairo Release builds without any problems, but the debug version have some Linking issues, I haven't looked into it in detail, but I suspect that's a small issue, something like building for Win Console, but using Win GUI functions, or missing to reference some system lib.

Please post the error message.  I don't see errors when building, but that doesn't mean there aren't problems.

> I was looking through the build-webkit script and it sets the ENABLE_INSPECTOR options, but apparently this option is never passed to the compiler. At some point the script just hand over the control to the Visual Studio without passing any directives.

The features are controlled by Visual Studio property sheets stored in $(WebitLibraries)\tools\vsprops.  The main Apple build uses FeatureDefines.vsprops, and the WinCairo uses FeatureDefinesCairo.vsprops.

> So from this I am suspecting that ./build-webkit is only needed to generate the Visual Studio project files and after that is manly just a 'redirect' to the Visual Studio build process. That means that I would need to run ./build-webkit once, and from then on just use Visual Studio.

build-webkit performs a number of tasks (such as setting up your build environment, if it isn't set up properly) before turning control over to Visual Studio for the full build.

> So, if I want to tweak the build (directives, flags, linking, etc) where should I be looking in?

Pretty much all settings are controlled by property sheets (vsprops files).  This allows us to ensure that the various projects are using consistent build flags, feature defines, etc.

> WinCairo is not a full port of the webkit? For instance the WebInspector is disabled by default, is this because the WebInspector does not work in the cairo port, or just because is the default build settings.

WinCairo is a full port of WebKit.

I think you are mistaken re: WebInspector.  All WinCairo builds I've ever done have included the WebInspector.

> And Now for something completely different:
> As far as I could see WinCairo port does not support cookies 'out of the box'. Is this just because someone needs to do it? or there is some kind of limitation? Since WinCairo uses cURL, couldn't we rely on cURL to handle cookies?

I have not done much (any) work on Cookies, because they are not needed for my primary use of the framework.  cURL handles cookies internally, and I think some people have reported some frustration with accessing cookies from WebKit itself.  If there are particular things aren't working for you, please file bugs so we can address the problem.

Thanks,

-Brent