[webkit-help] WinCairo Build system and other bits

Leonardo Carneiro leonardo at unity3d.com
Thu Jan 12 09:16:01 PST 2012

Hello WebKitters!

I got the source a few days ago and I am using revision 104446M. The
WinCairo Release builds without any problems, but the debug version have
some Linking issues, I haven't looked into it in detail, but I suspect
that's a small issue, something like building for Win Console, but using
Win GUI functions, or missing to reference some system lib.

I am completely confused about the Build script for WinCairo port. This is
what i am using:
./build-webkit --wincairo --release

I was looking through the build-webkit script and it sets the
ENABLE_INSPECTOR options, but apparently this option is never passed to the
compiler. At some point the script just hand over the control to the Visual
Studio without passing any directives.

So from this I am suspecting that ./build-webkit is only needed to generate
the Visual Studio project files and after that is manly just a 'redirect'
to the Visual Studio build process. That means that I would need to run
./build-webkit once, and from then on just use Visual Studio.

So, if I want to tweak the build (directives, flags, linking, etc) where
should I be looking in?

WinCairo is not a full port of the webkit? For instance the WebInspector is
disabled by default, is this because the WebInspector does not work in the
cairo port, or just because is the default build settings.

And Now for something completely different:
As far as I could see WinCairo port does not support cookies 'out of the
box'. Is this just because someone needs to do it? or there is some kind of
limitation? Since WinCairo uses cURL, couldn't we rely on cURL to handle
cookies?

Btw, cookies is really important for my application, so I would be very
interested in contributing with this 'fix', I just need to have a better
understanding of the current situation ;)

Any help is highly appreciated!

Thanks :)

--
Leonardo Carneiro