[webkit-help] Webkit Build Error

Adam Roben aroben at apple.com
Tue Feb 21 06:47:51 PST 2012

On Feb 21, 2012, at 8:11 AM, Aman Gupta wrote:

> Thanks again Adam. I have successfully updated WebKit. While building WebKit (running "build-webkit" script), I encountered the following error:
>

> $ perl build-webkit
>
> Installing WebKitSupportLibrary...
> The WebKitSupportLibrary has been sucessfully installed in
>  /home/amang/webkit/WebKitLibraries/win
> Building results into: /home/amang/webkit/WebKitBuild
> WEBKITOUTPUTDIR is set to: C:\cygwin\home\amang\webkit\WebKitBuild
> WEBKITLIBRARIESDIR is set to: C:\cygwin\home\amang\webkit\WebKitLibraries\win
> Cannot find registry entry 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/MicrosoftSDK/InstalledSDKs/D2FF9F89-8AA2-4373-8A31-C838BF4DBBE                                1'.
> Please download and install the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2
> Platform SDK from <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
> familyid=0baf2b35-c656-4969-ace8-e4c0c0716adb&displaylang=en>.
>
> Then follow step 2 in the Windows section of the "Installing Developer
> Tools" instructions at <http://www.webkit.org/building/tools.html>.
> Died at /home/amang/webkit/Tools/Scripts/webkitdirs.pm line 1576.
>

> I am working on a computer with Windows 7 64 bit version installed. I have also installed the Platform SDK, albeit a different version. I read somewhere that WebKit has problems recognising Platform SDK on Win64 systems. Can you please help me out with this?

Our scripts and build process only know how to work with that specific version of the SDK. You should install that version if possible. Does that version of the SDK not work on 64-bit Windows 7?

Also, the SDK is only required if you are building with Visual C++ Express (as opposed to Visual Studio). If you are using Visual Studio and the script is telling you to install the SDK, that's a bug.

-Adam