[webkit-help] Rendering HTML page to bitmap

Matthew Johnson matthewj at adobe.com
Wed Jul 13 14:16:46 PDT 2011

I'd like to be able to render the full contents of a page to a bitmap, not just the contents within the viewport.  Is this possible?

I have been using chromiumembedded framework (CEF) to deal with WebKit and get the bitmap (CefBrowser::GetImage), but I can either get an bitmap of the viewport area only or resize the WebView and then get a bitmap of the full page contents.  The latter results in changes to the web page layout on many pages due to a different viewport size after the resize.

Using the WebKit APIs is there a way to get a bitmap of the full contents of a web page - at a given point in time - without resorting to resizing the WebView?

Ideally, I could capture the full WebView in a single bitmap.  But I could resort to scrolling around the page and tiling the respective bitmaps together if I can prevent it from performing any layout on the page while doing so.

Anybody have any good ways to tackle this?

Thanks,
Matt