[webkit-help] hardware accelerated rendering path

Ariya Hidayat ariya.hidayat at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 09:47:07 PDT 2011

> The latest cairo port does not support accelerate composition, nor does it
> support hardware based primitive drawing. I think FireFox cairo d2d backend
> can be a good reference in the primitive drawing. However, accelerated
> composition seems to be more complicated because all resources I can find is
> the source code under graphics/ca where Apple have implemented the
> accelerated composition. Is there any document can help better understand
> the details? Thanks.

IIRC Cairo has several GPU-based back-ends. Did you try to enable/use
it with the Cairo port of WebKit?

To give a different perspective, Qt's painting system can use OpenGL
or OpenVG backend, transparent to the client code. The Qt port of
WebKit does not even need to do anything about it (note: simplified
view, the reality is more complicated).

As for the accelerated compositing, check also
http://www.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/gpu-accelerated-compositing-in-chrome.
Though some part applies only to Chromium, it contains a lot of
platform-agnostic information.

Regards,

--
Ariya Hidayat, Passionate Technologist