[webkit-help] Questions on Webkit compliation on Windows

Adam Roben aroben at apple.com
Wed Nov 17 09:22:25 PST 2010

On 11/17/2010 2:15 AM, Muralidharan Narayanan wrote:
> - Can I compile webkit on Visual Studio 2005 independent of compiling
> on cygwin
>
> - Can I compile webkit on Cygwin independent of compiling on Visual Studio

No. Both Cygwin and Visual Studio/VC++ Express are required.

> - How are "build-webkit script", "|set-webkit-configuration| script"
> and |"update-webkit| script" needed? Are they needed to be run before
> any compilation?

You must run update-webkit and build-webkit in order to install various
dependencies that are required to build WebKit. set-webkit-configuration
should not be required.

> - What is the difference in the SOURCE from nightly code location
> (http://nightly.webkit.org/) and SOURCE from
> (http://nightly.webkit.org/files/WebKit-SVN-source.tar.bz2
> <http://nightly.webkit.org/files/WebKit-SVN-source.tar.bz2>) that is
> updated every 6 hours. The SOURCE from the 2 different locations are
> significantly different in sizes, 16 MB as compared to 700 MB in the
> tar.bz2 file. Also, these two are different from the SVN checkout of
> source from the trunk

I think the larger file is a working SVN checkout (i.e., it includes all
the .svn directories), while the smaller one is essentially the output
from "svn export".

> - I am unable to open the WebKit sln project located at the below
> location
> .......\WebKit-r70732\WebKit\win\WebKit.vcproj
> because VS 2005 complains that it can't open 5 project folders
> (JavascriptCore, Webcore etc...) as part of the project. Do I need to
> get a licensed version of VS to execute Webkit solution.

You should be able to ignore those warnings.

> - Is there a basic skeleton of Webkit code that we can use as a start
> to port to a newer embedded platform? Currently WebKit has all code
> for all platform with several graphics projects. I want a basic
> skeleton code to start with with all optional packages and code
> stripped out.

I don't think there's an easy way to get just the source code that is
used by a particular port.

-Adam