[webkit-help] Help debugging possible memory leaks

Bob Remeika bob.remeika at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 11:50:45 PST 2010

I've noticed that my webapp seems to increase memory usage over time and I
think I might have a possible memory leak so I've been following the steps
on http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/Memory%20Use to debug/report any problems
that I've seen.  I tried asking in #webkit but was referred to this list
instead.

I have two questions:

1. I might be seeing a webkit memory leak (looks like it happens in Safari
but not Chrome) in my webapp and im trying to figure out what is going on.
I've been following the steps for reporting a MemoryUse bug but I'm having a
hard time figuring out what the output means.  I'm using a debug build that
I started with ./run-safari --debug and when I end my test case I see a
report that says "LEAK: 137 Structure".  I see this same report when I load
google.com and close safari as another test case but there are many more
LEAKs.  So my question is, is it possible for the "LEAK: N Structure"
message to be mostly harmless?

2. On step 2 on this page http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/Memory%20Use there is
instructions to "Check the Javascript object footprint".  How do you open
the "Show Caches Window".  Is that some dialog menu item in Safari that I
don't know about?  Or is this in Xcode?

Thank you!

--
Bob Remeika