[webkit-help] porting to new platform

Randy Turner rturner at amalfisystems.com
Wed May 19 19:14:36 PDT 2010

Hi,

If I want to port webkit to some platform with a different type of drawing model or frame buffer, do I only need to implement a set of drawing primitives that webkit wants to use to render it to "some surface"?

In looking in the "platform" directory of webkit, I noticed this seems to be the place where platform porting seems to occur (GTK, QT, etc.).

If I just collect all the non-static functions that are defined in one of these platform directories (say, GTK), would these functions constitute the bulk of a porting effort?

I can't seem to find a porting guide that provides a step-by-step process for porting webkit to another platform.  The platform I'm porting to is a POSIX Platform, but with a direct frame buffer that provides a different API (drawing primitives like "draw pixel").  The only porting I have to do is just the rendering part so I was hoping that I could define a set of drawing primitives and plug those into webkit and that would be it.

Thanks!!
Randy