[webkit-help] Running flash in a separate process

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Sun Mar 28 08:28:06 PDT 2010

Hi there,

I've read a little recently that says that on 64-bit Intels running
10.6, Flash is run in a separate process from Safari itself. The
suggestion is that this is a side-effect of 32- / 64-bit separation,
but that it also results that a crash of Flash won't take down the
rest of the browser.

I run your pre-compiled SVN builds of Webkit, and can I just say how
happy I am with your software. :D
I have a 1.8DP G5 running 10.5, and I have this bad habit of keeping
LOADS of browser tabs open (39 right now, in 9 separate windows). I
started using Webkit before the release of Safari 4, I think, and it
runs much *much* faster (and I think more stably) than the regular
shipped-with-the o/s Safari.

However I still get regular crashes (daily or weekly), in which I lose
all my open tabs, and they have to be reloaded when I restart the
browser. I see lots of claims on the interwebs citing flash as the
most common cause of Safari crashes, and I notice some correlation
myself (to when flash videos are open in a window).

What I'd like to know is if it's possible to force Flash to run in a
separate process in my environment? (PPC / 10.5)
Would there be any stability benefit to doing so?

Many thanks in advance for any replies or suggestions,

Stroller.