[webkit-help] Porting qtwebkit to ThreadX

Vinay Verma vinayverma at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 05:06:17 PDT 2010

Thanks Sri for your response.

I cannot use either of QT or GTK on ThreadX. If I try to port them to
ThreadX, my efforts would multiply. As you mentioned I would need to choose
a suitable UI (already existing on ThreadX) and port Webkit on the same.
Similarily I have to do for all the dependencies you mentioned. I am sure
someone would have already done this porting for some new OS (for which
webkit port is not available). It would have been great help if there were
any porting guide for the same. Or any experiences of the same.

As you suggested, I would try this on IRC. Thanks again for your response.

Regards,
Vinay

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Sri <srikumar.b at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Vinay,
> I got you!
> As fas as i know, there is no porting guide available for webkit. And for
> webkit as such we dont find any documentation also.
> Basically you can post your queries in IRC with which you can
> get immediate response.
>
> I have compiled and run webkit with gtk on ubuntu using the instructions
> from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WebKit.
> With the above procedure, you can do basic navigations using GtkLauncher.
> To build webkit on ubuntu, you have below package dependencies
>
> gtk-doc-tools autoconf automake libtool libgtk2.0-dev libpango1.0-dev libicu-dev libxslt-dev libsoup2.4-dev libsqlite3-dev gperf bison flex libjpeg62-dev libpng12-dev libxt-dev autotools-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev libenchant-dev libgail-dev
>
> So, for your platform threadx, you can investigate each package whether its
> needed or not(you can turn off some features in webkit code by which you
> dont get compilation errors even though package is not available) or what is
> the alternative package for it.
>
> I compiled webkit for Qt also in ubuntu using instructions from
> http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/QtWebKit and this will give you an executable
> QtLauncher
> To work only with webkit, you can either go for GtkPort or Qt port or if
> you can use your own UI toolkit(thats a huge effort).
>
> But as yours is RTOS, i think you have to do cross compilation using
> scrathbox or some cross compiler toolkit. You can compile webkit for ARM on
> scratchbox by adding all above dependencies
>
> I hope i answered your questions.
>
> Cheers,
> -Sri
>
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 1:45 AM, Vinay Verma <vinayverma at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Sri for the inputs.
>>
>> I am currently trying to identify all the interfaces (graphics,
>> networking, events etc) which are required by Webkit on a new RTOS. Next
>> step would be identifying similar libraries on ThreadX and interfacing them
>> to Webkit. My aim is to run the Webkit's demo browser on ThreadX and
>> customize it as required. Currently I have a team of 10 people working on
>> the task.
>>
>> Please suggest if anyone knows a simpler way to do this as I could
>> not find a Webkit porting guide on web. Or if someone could suggest the
>> amount of efforts required in porting webkit to ThreadX (even a rough figure
>> is welcome, it would be of great help).
>>
>> Thanks in advance. Beer assured!!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Vinay
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 9:22 PM, Sri <srikumar.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Vinay,
>>> I really didnt worked on exact porting but as far as i know
>>> 1) webkit porting is considerably good effort
>>> 2) You have to develop/hack webkit platform layer
>>> (Webkit/WebCore/platform) & appropriate UI related changes (Webkit/webkit)
>>> for gtk/qt/other alternate
>>> 3) You have to modify webkit interface layer which talk to UI