[webkit-help] IDL file format description

Thomas Fletcher thomas at cranksoftware.com
Mon Feb 1 10:04:38 PST 2010

I'm just working my way through the details of how an internal
attribute/method works its way from being part of the C++ object
to being exposed to JS and the interaction story there.

I can see that most of the work of creating the JS bindings is
done through the use of IDL files and the generate-bindings.pl
Perl script.

Is there anywhere that describes the WebKit elements of these
files and how they are used?

As a sample, I'm trying to follow the path of what happens when
a CSS style element is changed on an object, what is the chain
of calls from:

JS element.style.visibility="hidden"
~~~
JSElement
->JSCSSStyleDeclaration
   ->CSSStyleDeclaration/CSSMutableStyleDeclaration
     ->Node/Dom
       ->...

Right now I'm making a bit of a leap of understanding across
the JS barrier and into the generated code that I'd like to
better understand.

Thanks,
  Thomas
--