[webkit-help] WebKit Memory Management

Fan, Jim Jim.Fan at polycom.com
Tue Sep 22 18:49:15 PDT 2009

Hi All,

Can someone explain briefly on how WebKit manages dynamic memory
allocations? And whether it's possible to limit the memory WebKit uses?

We have a ARM based device with 256MB of physical memory, running Qt
4.5.2/Webkit 527 on embedded Linux, We've disabled the internal cache in
WebKit by doing:

       QWebSettings::setMaximumPagesInCache(0);

       QWebSettings::setOfflineStorageDefaultQuota(0);

       QWebSettings::setObjectCacheCapacities(0, 0, 0);

And I've also verified that the internal cache is disabled (by doing
Cache::dumpStats()), however the memory utilization would keep growing
while we click through random pages starting from google (e.g.
www.google.com, click on news, click on the first news page, etc). The
allocated memory however, would stabilize after it reaches about 53MB,
suggesting some kind of limitation/recycling mechanism kicking in.

So my question is, if there's some kind of limitation for the maximum
dynamic memory webkit can get, can we modify that limit to a smaller
number?

P.S. The allocated memory data was retrieved from mallinfo.arena
(http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-5168/mallinfo-3malloc?a=view), and
we've ruled out the possibility that the application code itself is
leaking.

Thanks,

Jim