[webkit-help] Giving keyboard focus on a flash video.

Matt Bockt bocktmatt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 08:50:15 PDT 2009

Hi !

I have a flash movie that is embedd in an html page, and I want it to have
the keyboard focus as soon as the page is loaded.

With the following HTML code, it works fine on IE and Firefox, but not on
WebKit.

<HTML>

     <OBJECT
        wmode="opaque"
        id="VIDEO" name="VIDEO"
    width="800" height="600"
        style="position:absolute; left:0;top:0;"
    type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
    data="mt.swf">
    <PARAM NAME="MOVIE" VALUE="mt.swf">

    </OBJECT>
</HTML>

The "onLoad" event is well received and the
"document.getElementById('VIDEO')" works. Indeed, if I replace "<body
onload="document.getElementById('VIDEO').focus();">" with "<body
onload="alert(document.getElementById('VIDEO').data)">" the alert returns
the name of the file to be played.

So, looks like the ".focus()" does'nt actually give focus to the embed flash
video...

Am I missing something in the way to embed the flash video or is it a
limitation of webkit ??

I also read during my searches on google, that giving the focus to a flash
video was quite impossible from a non-IE browser, but these posts were
sometime outdated (2005-2006......)
But since it works now on a firefox 3.0.4, I wonder why it doesn't work on
WebKit too.

Thank you to help me making the light  about all this.

PS :  I'm running a *WebKit r44815* on *Fedora10*.

--
matt