[webkit-help] Building WebKit for ARM.

Sriram Neelakandan sriram.neelakandan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 00:47:42 PST 2009

> Is it absolutely necessary that if I need to build WebKit for ARM, I need
> to do it with one of its ports? In that case, which would be the suitable
> port providing only the parsing/rendering part?

Once again. Webkit is not a BROWSER !
So there is no rendering that can happen without a toolkit (atleast today) !
So without making a port decision you cannot compile webkit !

Now the choice of the port depends on what kind of display hardware/driver
support you have.
First question are you running linux or WinCE on your target?
Do you have linux framebuffer /  DirectFB  / X11 running ?

Once you find answers for these questions, then you have to choose between
QT and GTK based on your comfort level.

There are full featured browsers that are built out of both these ports
(look at epiphany and arora )

> -Pritam.
>
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Ariya Hidayat <ariya.hidayat at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> You also might want to read first what I've written here:
>>
>> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/webkit-help/2009-August/000146.html
>>

>> Like Holger wrote in his answer, modifying (and refactoring) one of
>> the ports to suit your need is likely a better solution than creating
>> a new port from scratch.
>>

>> --
>> Ariya Hidayat
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/ariyahidayat

Sriram Neelakandan
Author - Embedded Linux System Design And Development (
http://tinyurl.com/2doosu)