[webkit-gtk] Performance issue for some https urls

Antonio antonio at vieiro.net
Wed Jan 18 12:49:34 PST 2023

Hi all,

I compiled the simple program at [1] and everything is quite fast when
the target urls at line 57 are either:

- http://www.webkitgtk.org/ or
- https://www.webkitgtk.org/

However, if the target url is:

- https://www.wikipedia.org/ (DigiCert multidomain certificate)

Then performance is terrible, making an "AMD Ryzen 7 5700U with Radeon
Graphics" go 100% on a single core for about twelve (12) seconds!

Also when the target url is:

- https://github.com/ (DigiCert single domain certificate)

The CPU also goes to 100%, but for a shorter time.

I imagine this behaviour has something to do with certificate
validation, possibly because DigiCert is not a trusted CA root or
something (I'm running an Ubuntu 22.04 distro).

Questions are:

1.- Is this a bug or a feature?
2.- Does WebKitGTK use the system CA trustore or an embedded one?
3.- How can I can specify a custom CA truststore in my WebKitGTK app?

Thanks in advance,
Antonio

[1]
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/WebKitGtk/ProgrammingGuide/Tutorial