[webkit-gtk] Build for GTK+2 with gcc 11.2

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Wed Feb 23 07:24:32 PST 2022

Hi,

Is there any reason to not use the GTK3 version of wxWidgets? Then you could
use a modern WebKitGTK version.

On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 11:09:46 +0000 Frederick Virchanza Gotham <cauldwell.thomas at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> For the time being I've chosen to use GTK+2 in my distro. I don't
> currently have plans to switch to GTK+3 (nor do I plan to have the
> both of them installed simultaneously).
>
> I think the latest version of webkitgtk that supports GTK+2 alone is
> version 2.4.11. (Any version later than that gives an error when you
> try run "cmake ." because it can't find GTK+3).

Another option, if you want an up-to-date web engine, could be using the WPE
port and making it render to a GtkGlArea, like the GTK4 support here does:

  https://github.com/Igalia/cog/blob/master/platform/gtk4/cog-platform-gtk4.c#L141

But instead of using GTK4, you could use the GTK2 version of GtkGlArea.
Note that if you go this route, you lose some of the platform integration,
so for example you will need to handle yourself the signals for showing
alert/file dialogs and a few other things. Depending on your needs, it
might be a good option to keep in mind.

Cheers,
—Adrián