[webkit-gtk] Compiling the lib w/ 4GB RAM

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Mon Nov 15 04:46:39 PST 2021

On Mon, 15 Nov 2021 12:25:15 +0000 Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez <clopez at igalia.com> wrote:

> On 15/11/2021 08:40, René wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I spent this weekend trying to build the lib from the source code.
> > Unfortunately I can't compile the file Unifiedxxx_767013ce-4.cpp,
> > because the HDD is swappin like crazy. It seems 4 GB is not enough for
> > the process although I'm running on console only so I can free some
> > memory.. Is there any possibility to split these huge source files so
> > gcc can handle the process w/ "only" ,) 4 GB RAM. Thanks..
>
> You can try pass '-DENABLE_UNIFIED_BUILDS=OFF' to CMake, that why it
> will compile each c++ file individually. However, you may run into build
> errors due to missing headers because this build is not much tested as
> the other.

For release tarballs we try our best to make sure WebKitGTK (and also WPE)
build correctly when using “-DENABLE_UNIFIED_BUILDS=OFF”, but if you try to
build trunk it is quite likely that it will fail. Every now and then we land
fixes in trunk to keep non-unified builds working, so if you locate one of
those commits, the build is more likely to succeed (still, YMMV with trunk!)

> You can also try to lower the number of parallel build process, so they
> don't need to compete for the scarce RAM.

True, I forgot about this in my previous message :)

> In any case, I'm not sure that you would be able to build with only 4GB.
> If you can get a build host with more RAM that would be better.

Cheers,
—Adrián