[webkit-gtk] Compiling the lib w/ 4GB RAM
Adrian Perez de Castro
aperez at igalia.com
Mon Nov 15 04:40:18 PST 2021
On Mon, 15 Nov 2021 09:40:00 +0100 René <gadefoxren at gmail.com> wrote:
> I spent this weekend trying to build the lib from the source code.
> Unfortunately I can't compile the file Unifiedxxx_767013ce-4.cpp,
> because the HDD is swappin like crazy. It seems 4 GB is not enough for
> the process although I'm running on console only so I can free some
> memory.. Is there any possibility to split these huge source files so
> gcc can handle the process w/ "only" ,) 4 GB RAM. Thanks..
With 4 GiB you will be tight to be able to build and link WebKit, but
it _might_ be possible with some tweaking:
- You can pass “-DENABLE_UNIFIED_BUILDS=OFF” to disable unified builds.
This will save you some memory (as you guessed, building huge combined
sources takes more RAM).
- Then the challenge is linking, this is slightly more likely to succeed
using the GNU binutils linker instead of Gold. You can tell CMake to
no try using Gold passing “-DUSE_LD_GOLD=OFF” to it.
- You may still run into low memory, setting “LDFLAGS='-Wl,--no-keep-memory'”
in the environment before running CMake will definitely help.
- Last but not least, try to not run a desktop environment (like GNOME)
at the same time, to leave more memory for the build process.
- If you still run low on memory, you may need to have some swap, or increase
the amount of swap space.
I hope these tips help. Cheers,
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 195 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the webkit-gtk