[webkit-gtk] Building with wayland requires GLX for opengl support ?

Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez clopez at igalia.com
Tue Mar 16 20:22:14 PDT 2021

On 16/03/2021 08:08, Quentin SCHIBLER wrote:
> Alright, I spend a few days trying to build it without glx and x11, which I achieved in the end. But it is mess. EGL is not supported out of the box because of OpenGLShims.h which doesn't get included. But including it causes issues because glx is not present. Looking at the source code it seems the workaround is to use libepoxy which is supported in WebCore thanks to webkit-wpe but not in webkit-gtk (there is already a bug report regarding this issue, but the proposed patch does not work anymore, and nothing has been done since 2020). So I had to hack in the support. Even with that, some auto-generated files still included EGL/egl.h instead of epoxy/egl.h, and I could not figure out how to prevent it, so I had to link egl+libepoxy, which is pretty ugly.
> Maybe I'll post a patch if I can solve the autogenerated files includes correctly

libepoxy is a library that allows to choose at run-time (instead of at
build-time) to use either libGL.so or libGLESv2.so

As you say, it is supported on WPEWebKit but not on WebKitGTK+.

Currently, on WebKitGTK+ you have to specify at build-time which type of
GL library you will have.

I wonder if you have tried to build WebKitGTK with "-DENABLE_GLES2=ON"
as I suggested a while ago?