[webkit-gtk] Hardware acceleration on raspberry pi 4 using buildroot.

C Larbi pkl2000us at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 16:07:50 PDT 2021

I am working on an information display screen using webkitgtk.

The system was put together using buildroot.

The display screen uses some javacript to manipulate the DOM to create some
effects.

So far everthing seems to be working perfectly except that it seems
rendering the effects seem to be slow.

Some of these effects are to give smooth transitions, but on my pi 4, these
transitions are seen as visible STEPS instead of being smooth.

I am no expert in GPUs but it seems the gpu is not being utilized in
rendering.

When i set the environment variable "WEBKIT_FORCE_COMPOSITING_MODE" to 1,
the whole screen gets garbled.

I will appreciate any pointers in getting this fixed

Below are some details of my system:

webkitgtk version = 2.30.2
Mesa3d version = 20.2.2
Opengl es and opengl egl are enabled