[webkit-gtk] WebKitGTK has 4 problems with Arabic script

Farhad Mohammadi Majd farhadbenyamin at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 25 03:26:37 PST 2019

> 3. The "Zero-width non-joiner" non-printing character (
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-width_non-joiner) is showing
> incorrectly in the URL bar/address bar, open the below CNN article in
> Persian WP with GNOME Web and look at the URL bar/address bar:
>
> https://fa.wikipedia.org/wiki/سی‌ان‌ان
>
> it is rendered wrongly as following:
>
> https://fa.wikipedia.org/wiki/سی%E2%80%8Cان%E2%80%8Cان
>
> WebKitGTK produces %E2%80%8C for Zero-width non-joiner

I found that this ptoblem is exist also in Google Chrome 79/Chromium 79
on the Fedora 31 and Ubuntu 19.10, so it does not come from the GNOME
Web (epiphany) and is not exclusive to it.

I have more information about it that can help to debug it:

1. %E2%80%8C which is rendered for "Zero-width non-joiner" is a UTF-8
hex code:

https://www.utf8-chartable.de/unicode-utf8-table.pl?start=8192&number=128

https://codepoints.net/U+200C?lang=en

so it seems it comes from the library or program that is responsible
for rendering/decoding/encoding the "Zero-width non-joiner"; maybe
Pango, HarfBuzz, or Freebidi

2. This problem was not exist in the prior versions of GNOME and Ubuntu
19.04

THANKS