[webkit-gtk] Opening default context menu on mouse release

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at igalia.com
Mon May 15 09:15:20 PDT 2017

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 5:35 AM, Peter Hofmann
<webkitlists at uninformativ.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we're trying to implement mouse gestures[0] in a simple webkit2gtk
> browser. To make things a little easier, here's a minimal example:
>
> https://gist.github.com/vain/e861bce9536410aa10d46948d6bd48c8
>
> To invoke a gesture, press the right mouse button and drag the pointer
> left, right, up or down. The browser will then navigate backward,
> forward, reload the page or open a new tab.
>
> The current implementation makes the context menu inaccessible.
> Problem
> is, the context menu always opens on mouse *down* events. At that
> point
> in time, we don't know yet if the user is going to perform a gesture.
>
> So, my question is, is there a way to open webkit's default context
> menu
> on mouse *release* events?

I don't think so, not currently. Maybe we need to change this, since
mouse gestures seems like an important use-case for this. Currently the
context menu is opened on mouse down events simply because that's what
GTK+ does. Maybe WebKit will need to diverge from GTK+'s behavior here.

Michael