[webkit-gtk] Custom GTK widgets inside webview

philip.chimento at gmail.com philip.chimento at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 23:16:38 PDT 2017

On Sat, Jun 3, 2017 at 10:55 AM Zisu Andrei <matzipan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been using webkit2gtk-4 from Vala for a mail application I am writing
> for myself. It's been relatively easy to work with, apart from a few
> issues. Perhaps I'll detail them in some future emails.
>
> However, I am writing this to ask about opportunity of allowing custom GTK
> widgets to be embedded in the WebView. What would that entail? Where would
> one need to look for adding such a feature, and if one were to do so, would
> it be accepted upstream? Is there a particular reason why this has not been
> done? I googled around a bit and I wasn't able to find answers.
>
> Specifically, in my mail application, when displaying a mail thread, I
> have a choice between a single webview for the entire thread and a webview
> for each message content. While single webview would be most efficient, it
> would mean I wouldn't be able to reuse some of the GTK widgets I've used in
> the rest of the application and so on, and if I do have a webview for each
> message - the waste is obvious.

This has been discussed before on this list, without a particularly
satisfying answer:
https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-gtk/2015-September/002426.html

This is still a problem, but looks unsolvable as far as I can tell. The
closest you can come, as far as I can tell, is using what Matt Watson
demonstrated in this script:
https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-gtk/2015-September/002429.html That
works as long as you don't try to scroll too fast; in which case the widget
quite obviously lags behind the div with the red background.

Regards,
Philip C