[webkit-gtk] WebKitGTK+ VS Apple WebKit

Carlos Garcia Campos cgarcia at igalia.com
Mon Apr 3 23:49:23 PDT 2017

El lun, 03-04-2017 a las 18:43 -0500, Michael Catanzaro escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I don't think Arch is missing build flags (in fact I strongly
> encourage
> using the defaults), I think it just needs more investigation. WebKit
> does support CustomElementRegistry and customElements.define, so I'd
> be
> interested to know why it's not detected. It could be a WebKit bug,
> or
> it could be an html5test bug.
>
> On Mon, 2017-04-03 at 22:36 +0100, Andrea Giammarchi wrote:
> > What's the official WebKitGTK focus/priority then?
>
> Fixing platform-specific bugs, improving overall robustness and
> security, API improvements needed for desktop applications,
> performance
> in embedded and resource-constrained devices, WebRTC, and whatever
> customers are paying us to work on. That's already a lot and we don't
> have time for much more than that. We mostly leave web-facing feature
> development to Apple because they are rich and we're not, and they're
> doing a quite good job of it for us already IMO. When there are
> platform-specific bits needed to make a feature work on Linux, we're
> of
> course interested in filling those in when we find time.

I disagree with this, we have worked in web features in the past even
if nobody paid us for it, just for our own interests or because the
community asked for a certain feature. It's true that we don't have as
many resources as Apple, but I don't think we just wait until they
develop features for us. We don't need to be rich to contribute web
features to WebKit.