[webkit-gtk] WebKitGTK+ VS Apple WebKit

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at igalia.com
Mon Apr 3 13:45:00 PDT 2017

On Mon, 2017-04-03 at 19:18 +0100, Andrea Giammarchi wrote:
> Dear All,
>  I've just played a bit around with WebKit2GTK 2.16 for ArchLinux,
> out of Gnome-Unstable repository.
>
> The http://html5test.com/ score is like 8 points more, still under
> 400 out of 555.
>
> Moreover, Custom Elements, as well as ES2015 script type=module are
> not supported.
>
> Am I missing flags during my initialization or nothing recent
> actually went into this version?
>
> Fetch is not there neither.
>
> Mind explaining what's going on?
>
> Thank You!

Custom elements works for me:

https://webkit.org/wp-content/uploads/custom-element-demo.html

The progress bar does nothing in 2.14 but works fine in 2.16. I see
html5test.com scores it as unsupported. I'm curious why. For better or
for worse, this webpage is what tech reviewers use to judge the quality
of web browsers, and we're missing four points for custom elements.

I dunno about ES6 modules, but I thought that should be working too.

html5test.com says Fetch is working.

Our team does not usually prioritize web-facing features except when
somebody is paying us to do so (CSS grid layout), so I'm not at all
familiar with any of the above. Maybe somebody else knows. For an
overview of what we've been working on, see:

http://blogs.igalia.com/carlosgc/2017/03/20/webkitgtk-2-16/

Michael