[webkit-gtk] GObject DOM bindings

Carlos Garcia Campos cgarcia at igalia.com
Fri Oct 7 00:30:46 PDT 2016

El vie, 07-10-2016 a las 14:54 +1100, Michael Gratton escribió:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 9:57 PM, Gustavo Noronha Silva <gns at gnome.org
> > wrote:
> > Long term, I think it might pay off if we move away from GObject
> > bindings and into making running arbitrary JS code (possibly with
> > access
> > to GObject APIs through something like seed) on the page's JS
> > context
> > simpler. I think the GObject bindings were very useful in their
> > current
> > form when you could use them from your main program, but less so
> > when
> > you'll have to run it on the web process and set up some kind of
> > IPC
> > anyway.
> >
> > Do we have an idea how people are using the DOM bindings today and
> > how?
> > Would they be properly served by an easier to use JS bridge?
>
> I have a few data points for this as well. If the Geary WK2 port
> starts using a WebExtenison for DOM manipulation, then we'd want
> access to both WebKitDOMDOMSelection and WebKitDOMDOMTokenList. The
> latter is mostly for convenience, the former though is pretty
> important - we need to get user selections for things like quoting
> parts of an email for reply, and so on.

Both are now part of the stable API. You can check the current API
here:

http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/Source/WebKit2/WebProcess/InjectedBundle/API/gtk/DOM

If you miss anything, just let us know, we hace the whole cycle to
bring back anything missing.

> I'd probably be happy to use a JS bridge instead, except that I'd
> like to be able to support Debian stable (which currently ships with
> 2.6 by default and it seems that 2.8 really made the JS bridge usable
> by introducing WebKitUserContentManager's message handlers), but also
> because I'd prefer to keep JS disabled for privacy and security
> reasons, unless there's some way to disable in-page JS only.

We are not going to remove DOM bindings in the short-medium term, even
if we add a JS bridge to replace it in the long term.