[webkit-gtk] GObject DOM bindings

Michael Gratton mike at vee.net
Thu Oct 6 20:54:48 PDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 9:57 PM, Gustavo Noronha Silva <gns at gnome.org>
wrote:
> Long term, I think it might pay off if we move away from GObject
> bindings and into making running arbitrary JS code (possibly with
> access
> to GObject APIs through something like seed) on the page's JS context
> simpler. I think the GObject bindings were very useful in their
> current
> form when you could use them from your main program, but less so when
> you'll have to run it on the web process and set up some kind of IPC
> anyway.
>
> Do we have an idea how people are using the DOM bindings today and
> how?
> Would they be properly served by an easier to use JS bridge?

I have a few data points for this as well. If the Geary WK2 port starts
using a WebExtenison for DOM manipulation, then we'd want access to
both WebKitDOMDOMSelection and WebKitDOMDOMTokenList. The latter is
mostly for convenience, the former though is pretty important - we need
to get user selections for things like quoting parts of an email for
reply, and so on.

I'd probably be happy to use a JS bridge instead, except that I'd like
to be able to support Debian stable (which currently ships with 2.6 by
default and it seems that 2.8 really made the JS bridge usable by
introducing WebKitUserContentManager's message handlers), but also
because I'd prefer to keep JS disabled for privacy and security
reasons, unless there's some way to disable in-page JS only.

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.
⚙ <http://mjog.vee.net/>