[webkit-gtk] Changing the DOM from a separate thread / repaint issues

Thomas Hunger tehunger at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 07:52:30 PST 2016

Hi,

I'm currently trying to write a Haskell library which uses webkit2gtk to
render a UI. I have most things like the plugin process working, with one
exception: When I modify the DOM from a separate OS thread then rendering
breaks.

Specifically, if I modify the DOM in response to an event (e.g.
"mousemove") I get the correct outcome. If I modify the DOM from a thread
then I get the correct DOM back from innerHTML, but the rendering is
broken. Sometimes I get all "p"s on one line, instead of separate
paragraphs. Sometimes nothing renders.

I feel that I need to tell the layout system that the DOM tree is dirty but
I couldn't figure out how to do that. Or maybe I'm barking up the wrong
tree?

Any help to get the correct rendering very appreciated!

All the best,
Tom