[webkit-gtk] Send HTTP header line for every request

Adrián Pérez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Tue Jun 28 06:26:22 PDT 2016

Quoting Jay Strict (2016-06-28 11:57:31)
> On 28.06.2016 08:05, philip.chimento at gmail.com wrote:
> > I am fairly certain GJS is the more frequently used of the two, in GNOME
> > applications at least. In any case, GJS is not just used for GNOME
> > Shell, but also several applications like GNOME Documents (which itself
> > uses WebKitGTK), GNOME Weather, etc.
> >
> > And after all, I don't suppose it's a burden to include a dependency on
> > Python for the Python shim. You might be able to write WebExtension
> > shims for any number of interpreted languages and make them an optional
> > part of the build. In package-based distributions, for example, they
> > could be shipped in separate packages.
>
> That would not help in the Gnome shell extension use case then, if you
> have to install a seperate package. Gnome shell extensions should work
> for different distributions no matter which extra packages are installed
> or not.

I must admit that this is a very good reason to go with GJS instead of Seed.
Thinking about usage in GNOME, probably it makes more sense to start with GJS
first, and forget about supporting Seed for now. Maybe I'll try to make a
standalone proof-of-concept shim loader like the Python one using GJS when
I have some time — though there's still a couple of other tasks waiting in
my list of WIP tasks for WebKitGTK+, so I cannot commit to a date, sorry.

<kinda-offtopic>
In an ideal world, GNOME shouldn't need to depend on two separate JavaScript
engines, and the Shell would use JavaScriptCore somehow (either making GJS
depend on JSC instead of SpiderMonkey, or via Seed). Of course at the time
when GJS appeared SpiderMonkey was chosen —probably I would take that decision
myself back then, too—, and code in the Shell depends (still?) on some
features which are available in SpiderMonkey only, so now we have to live with
that.

I would love to see GJS ported over to JavaScriptCore, to avoid having both
JavaScriptCore and SpiderMonkey working at the same in the same process for an
application, but I am aware that it is not a motivating project because GJS
“just works right now” and if GJS switched to JSC probably the Shell would
need modifications as well. Not to mention making sure that there are no
regressions, and that then the Shell would depend on WebKitGTK+, whic itself
could open another can of worms...

So no, I do not see GJS switching to JSC anytime soon. Unfortunately.
</kinda-offtopic>

Cheers,

--
 ☛ Adrián