[webkit-gtk] Status of the threaded compositor

Carlos Garcia Campos cgarcia at igalia.com
Wed Jul 20 08:18:11 PDT 2016

El mié, 20-07-2016 a las 08:45 -0500, Michael Catanzaro escribió:
> On Tue, 2016-07-19 at 13:26 +0200, Carlos Garcia Campos wrote:
> > But there's still one detail pending. The threaded compositor
> > requires
> > overlay scrollbars (only available in wk when building with GTK+
> > 3.20)
> > and OpenGL enabled. So, I guess we should keep the non-threaded
> > compositor code, as long as we allow to build without OpenGL or
> > support
> > older versions of GTK+. That also means we need to upgrade the GTK+
> > version in our internal jhbuild.
>
> When you say it requires OpenGL, do you mean OpenGLES is
> insufficient,
> or do you mean either one suffices? We do need to support OpenGLES.

I mean the ENABLE_OPENGL build option, it doesn't matter which OpenGL
implementation is used in the end

> We'll need to talk about when we can reasonably require GTK+ 3.20.
> Under the recent proposal to support the latest Ubuntu LTS and Debian
> stable, it would be a long time before we could do that. I don't care
> about those distros, because they don't take our security updates,
> but
> dropping support for them would end any chance of convincing them to
> change their policies. Let's wait at least until the Web Engines
> Hackfest before making such a change. I'm excited at the possibility
> of
> code cleanup and I do not want to indefinitely support distros that
> do
> not take our updates, but I also feel it's a bit too early to give up
> on them entirely.

We need to keep the non-threaded compositor code path in any case if we
still allow to build without OpenGL.

So, we can simply enable threaded compositor by default when GTK+ >=
3.20 and OpenGL is enabled. We should still allow to build with
threaded compositor and previous versions of GTK+ when explicitly
enabled, since there are web apps that don't need scrollbars at all.

--

Carlos Garcia Campos
http://pgp.rediris.es:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF3D322D0EC4582C3