[webkit-gtk] Status of the threaded compositor

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at igalia.com
Wed Jul 20 06:45:57 PDT 2016

On Tue, 2016-07-19 at 13:26 +0200, Carlos Garcia Campos wrote:
> But there's still one detail pending. The threaded compositor
> requires
> overlay scrollbars (only available in wk when building with GTK+
> 3.20)
> and OpenGL enabled. So, I guess we should keep the non-threaded
> compositor code, as long as we allow to build without OpenGL or
> support
> older versions of GTK+. That also means we need to upgrade the GTK+
> version in our internal jhbuild.

When you say it requires OpenGL, do you mean OpenGLES is insufficient,
or do you mean either one suffices? We do need to support OpenGLES.

We'll need to talk about when we can reasonably require GTK+ 3.20.
Under the recent proposal to support the latest Ubuntu LTS and Debian
stable, it would be a long time before we could do that. I don't care
about those distros, because they don't take our security updates, but
dropping support for them would end any chance of convincing them to
change their policies. Let's wait at least until the Web Engines
Hackfest before making such a change. I'm excited at the possibility of
code cleanup and I do not want to indefinitely support distros that do
not take our updates, but I also feel it's a bit too early to give up
on them entirely.

Michael