[webkit-gtk] SoupSession

Carlos Garcia Campos cgarcia at igalia.com
Wed Apr 15 23:13:51 PDT 2015

El mié, 15-04-2015 a las 11:53 -0300, Victor Lucero escribió:
> Hi folks.
>

> Im trying to move my code from webkit1gtk to webkit2gtk but looks like
> one of the most needed features is not present
> webkit_get_default_session

Yes, the network doesn't happen in the UI process, so there's no
SoupSession there. It can be either in the WebProcess when using the
single shared secondary process model, or in the NetworkProcess, when
using multiple secondary processes model.

We have tried to expose in the UI process API the most common feature
that required to use the SoupSession directly (HTTP auth, TLS
certificates handling, custom URI schemes, disk cache, etc.)

> I used this to get access to web timings and stats proccessing, and in
> webkit2gtk looks like that api is not present,
> how can I get access to that part of the api?

When using the shared secondary process model, you could use a web
process extension, but there's no API to get the SoupSession, and we
will not add it, because it's very likely that the NetworkProcess will
be unconditionally used eventually.

For the case of web timing you could use the JavaScript WebTiming API
(See
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webperf/raw-file/tip/specs/NavigationTiming/Overview.html). The Web Inspector also provides that information, but if you still need that data inside your application, you could write a web process extension and use the GObject DOM bindings to use the JavaScript API, see WebKitDOMPerformanceTiming.

If that's not enough, we can try to add the required things if you
provide more details of what you need.