[webkit-gtk] Kiosk-style mouse

Gavin Lambert gavinl at compacsort.com
Mon Sep 22 18:14:08 PDT 2014

Is it possible to make WebKit/GTK treat mouse events only in a very limited
way?

I have a kiosk-style application that displays a browser view full screen,
using a bit of JavaScript to periodically update the display.  It's
currently using WebKit/GTK 1.8.1.  (ie. WebKit1; I haven't migrated to
WebKit2 because the multi-process model seems too much of a pain in the neck
for this application.)

Now I'm thinking about adding some interactivity via a touchscreen and some
html <button>s or similar clickable elements.

Is there a way to inhibit most of the "normal" mouse behaviour (dragging
images, highlighting text, etc) and only react to button/link click events?

One hacky idea that occurs to me (if WebKit doesn't have an option for this)
is to not connect the touchscreen as a mouse but instead read the raw input
internally and simulate only clicks and not drags.  Not entirely sure how to
go about doing that yet, which is partly why I'm hoping there's a simpler
option.