[webkit-gtk] WebKitGTK+ 2.7.1 released!

Gavin Lambert gavinl at compacsort.com
Wed Oct 29 00:25:53 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 29 October 2014, quoth Carlos Garcia Campos:
> El mié, 29-10-2014 a las 12:19 +1300, Gavin Lambert escribió:
> > On Wednesday, 29 October 2014, quoth Carlos Garcia Campos:
> > >
> > >   - Add initial gestures support. For now only drag, zoom and tap
> > >     gestures are supported, but it's enough to make WebKitGTK+
> > >     usable in touch screens. It requires GTK+ 3.14.
> >
> > Is there an option to disable these?  Configure-time or API?
>
> No, it isn't, but we have just landed it, so we can add a way to disable
> gestures somehow, either compile time or adding a new setting. Note that
> gestures only work on real touch screens and when the touch screen is
> used, the interaction with keyboard and mouse hasn't changed at all.

The screen I have matches an InputClass of "MatchIsTouchscreen" in xorg.conf, so I assume it counts. :)

> > Not that I'm likely to update to this version any time soon (I'm still
> > in WebKit1, as mentioned previously), but I'm using WebKitGTK in a
> > context where I'm quite happy that the zoom gesture in particular does
> > not work.
>
> Just out of curiosity, but what's that context where zoom gesture not
> working is a good thing?

It's a kiosk app that displays a full-screen page (mostly consisting of an SVG image viewboxed to fit the screen, but there's some HTML content too), with scrollbars disabled.  Zooming causes the HTML parts to not display as intended, although it leaves the SVG alone.  And the target audience isn't expected to know how to unzoom -- zooming would be presumed to be accidental rather than intentional (eg. as a result of two different people touching the screen at once).

I suppose we could just tell everyone to get single-touch screens but for some reason the multi-touch ones are cheaper now.

And I doubt this use-case is unique -- there are a lot of touch-maps, info kiosks, ticket kiosks, and interactive ad-screens popping up in malls and airports etc.

> > (FWIW, tap and drag already worked with the touchscreen that I'm
> > using.
>
> Tap and drag work in WebKit1 using a recent enough GTK+ version, because
> those features are implemented by GtkScrolledWindow.
>
> >   Although oddly right-click via EmulateThirdButton appears to have
> > stopped working somewhere between 1.8.1 and 2.4.5, but as this was
> > also Debian wheezy => jessie the fault may lie elsewhere.)

If it helps, GTK+ went from 2.24.10 to 2.24.24.