[webkit-gtk] Deciding the deprecation path for WebKit1

Kalev Lember kalevlember at gmail.com
Fri May 30 08:28:43 PDT 2014

On 05/28/2014 03:47 PM, Carlos Garcia Campos wrote:
> hmm, there's also the jsc binary, I guess that even conflicts with any
> other WebKit port, doesn't qtwebkit install a jsc binary as well?

Does anything actually use the jsc binary? Could maybe just drop it?

>> Sorry, it seems I missed one conflict in my original email -- can you
>> rename /usr/include/webkitgtk-3.0/ to /usr/include/webkit2gtk-3.0/ as well?
>>

> I don't think it's needed, webkitgtk-3.0 is the base include dir of the
> package that contains a different directory for every API layer WebKit,
> WebKit2 and JavaScriptCore.

Sure, but the JavaScriptCore headers are going to conflict between
webkit1 and webkit2, and same thing with webkitdom headers. Renaming the
directory should be a transparent change for apps because they all use
pkgconfig for figuring out include paths.

Having conflicting headers would actually be _somewhat_ okay for binary
distributions such as Fedora or Debian, but source based distros and BSD
ports maintainers are definitely going to complain when they can't
install headers for webkit1 and webkit2 in parallel.

And last but not least, I am sure people who are porting apps from
webkit1 to webkit2 would be very happy if they could keep both webkit1
and webkit2 headers installed at the same time to make porting easier.

--
Kalev