[webkit-gtk] Deciding the deprecation path for WebKit1

Alberto Garcia berto at igalia.com
Fri May 30 06:26:42 PDT 2014

Hey,

I was also thinking about the best way to handle this in Debian, and I
think that I agree with Kalev. I'll try to give a concrete example so
we can see if we all have the same opinion.

Right now we have 3 version of webkitgtk: webkit1/gtk2, webkit1/gtk3
and webkit2/gtk3, so let's consider a scenario like this:

xxxterm -> libwebkitgtk-1.0-0   -> libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0
liferea -> libwebkitgtk-3.0-0   -> libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0-0
devhelp -> libwebkit2gtk-3.0-25 -> libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0-0

I think the first two don't require any changes.

However we cannot upgrade libwebkit2gtk-3.0-25 separately because that
would bring a new version of libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0-0. Since each
webkit package depends on a specific version of JSC, we would have a
conflict there.

So one way to handle this when we branch for 2.6.x is to rename
libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0-0 to libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0-1,
libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-0 or something like that.

Since no program(*) depends directly on JSC (all of them do it via
webkitgtk) once we upgrade libwebkit2gtk the transition would be
automatic.

(*) there's of course /usr/bin/jsc, but I would just keep one copy
linked against the latest version.

Berto