[webkit-gtk] Deciding the deprecation path for WebKit1

Kalev Lember kalevlember at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 09:06:26 PDT 2014

On 03/19/2014 07:34 PM, Carlos Garcia Campos wrote:
> Let's remove the code then. As I said people wanting to stay with
> WebKit1 can use the latest release including WebKit1.

Hi,

With my downstream Fedora hat on, I have a few comments.

One requirement that distributions are going to have is to be able to
install webkit1 and webkit2 in parallel. Currently, in the default
Fedora desktop install, we still have a number of packages using
webkit1. All of them are unlikely to get ported to webkit2 during the
GNOME 3.14 cycle, so we'll have to keep shipping webkit1 in the default
install for some time.

This would mean renaming a bunch of files so that the 2.4.x webkit1 and
2.6.x webkit2 builds don't share files / conflict.

Files that are currently shared are:
 - message catalogs (WebKitGTK-3.0.mo)
 - /usr/share/webkitgtk-3.0/
 - libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0 library (the library .so and the pkgconfig
   file and headers)

I have no idea if it's feasible, but one option might be to split
javascriptcoregtk out to a separate project. That way, distros could
build both 2.4.x webkit1 and 2.6.x webkit2 against the same (new)
javascriptcoregtk version.

For reference, I've checked what packages in rawhide still depend on
webkit1.

Packages using webkit1:

$ repoquery -q --whatrequires 'libwebkitgtk-3.0.so.0()(64bit)' -s | sort | uniq | sed 's/\.fc2.\.src\.rpm$//' | grep -v ^webkitgtk3
balsa-2.5.1-2
bijiben-3.11.92-1
birdie-1.1-1
cairo-dock-3.2.1-2
dwb-2014.03.07-1
empathy-3.11.92-1
evolution-3.11.92-1
evolution-ews-3.11.92-1
evolution-mapi-3.11.92-1
evolution-rss-0.3.94-6
ffgtk-0.8.6-5
geary-0.6.0-1
gnome-documents-3.11.92-1
gnome-online-accounts-3.11.92-1
gnome-web-photo-0.10.5-5
liferea-1.10.6-1
mail-notification-5.4-80.git.eab5c13
nemo-extensions-2.0.0-0.6.git6c86726
rhythmbox-3.0.1-8
shotwell-0.18.0-1
sushi-3.11.90-2
uzbl-0-0.33.20120514git228bc38cbd
vfrnav-20131127-2
wxGTK3-3.0.0-6
xiphos-3.1.6-1
yelp-3.11.91-1

Packages using webkit2:

$ repoquery -q --whatrequires 'libwebkit2gtk-3.0.so.25()(64bit)' -s | sort | uniq | sed 's/\.fc2.\.src\.rpm$//' | grep -v ^webkitgtk3
anjuta-3.11.92-1
devhelp-3.11.92-1
epiphany-3.11.92-2
gthumb-3.2.6-3