[webkit-gtk] How do I start the Flash plugin on demand

Barry Scott barry.scott at onelan.co.uk
Wed Apr 9 08:54:59 PDT 2014

I am porting from Fedora 16 to Fedora 20.

In webkitgtk-1.6.1 the flash plugin was started only if a web page required the plugin.

But with webkitgtk3-2.2.6 the flash plugin is always started as soon as a
webkitview is realised.

I need to prevent flash from starting unless it is needed. In the case where
the background of the webkit view is transparent Flash will crash. It only
works with a Visual of depth 24 and the transparent webkit view uses a
visual of depth 32.

I don't think I can use the WebKItPLuginDatabase to disable flash as that is
a global settings and I create 2 view one at 24 bits and one at 32 in the same
process.

What should I be doing to get the old behaviour back?

Barry