[webkit-gtk] Beginner issues building and using WebKitGTK

Jacek Rużyczka stacheldraht at interia.pl
Thu Apr 3 10:46:15 PDT 2014

Hi Greg,

Am Donnerstag, den 03.04.2014, 09:28 -0700 schrieb Gregory Pitts:

> I am writing a cross platform application using GTK# that needs to be
> able to render a basic webpage. The feature is mostly for displaying
> documentation so I only need basic functionality. WebKitGTK seems like
> it would work to render the page in my application, but I have limited
> experience with these technologies. Can anyone confirm that this is
> possible using GTK#?

It IS possible to use WebKitGtk in a Gtk# app. In fact, the Webkit# libs
themselves rely on WebKitGtk. This will work on Linux and, after a long
and painful hacking session, also on Windows. You can also use Webkit#
when building an app with MonoDevelop, but it's not supported by its GUI
designer.

> My real question is if any documentation exists on how to get started
> with integrating WebKitGTK into my project. Specifically, I haven't
> been able to find any documentation on how to get the Tarball ready to
> use or what to actually do once it is ready. The README and INSTALL
> files inside the Tarball are empty and the documentation just looks
> like the API specification.

Webkit-sharp is not well-documented. Besides, at least this is my
experience, you can't rely on RPM packages for webkit-sharp and
WebKitGtk as many of them are out of date or even broken, so you will
have to hack a bit to get all the stuff running.

Kind regards
Jacek