[webkit-gtk] Styling the embedded media player

Xabier Rodriguez Calvar calvaris at igalia.com
Wed Apr 17 11:02:05 PDT 2013

O Ven, 12-04-2013 ás 14:57 -0300, Manuel Quiñones escribiu:
> What I did so far was injecting CSS through webview_execute_script and
> replaced the styles here:
> - http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/Source/WebCore/css/mediaControls.css
> - http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/Source/WebCore/css/mediaControlsGtk.css

This is a good idea, though I was even thinking that we should provide
an easier way of letting 3rd parties to modify that. I didn't have time
for that yet, but if you can come up with an idea, it is welcome.

> So I did the buttons bigger but couldn't resize the graphics inside
> them.  I don't see any definition for this in the CSS, but I see they
> use -webkit-appearance and then I came into this convesation:
>
> https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2011-April/016593.html

AFAIK, the appearance has nothing to do with the icon size. A size of
30x30 is specified in the CSS but that affects the size of the button,
not the icon. The size of the icon was hardcoded (and I didn't touch
that) in the C++ code, see:

http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/Source/WebCore/platform/gtk/RenderThemeGtk.cpp?rev=143463#L493

Something nasty that you can do is having a custom patch for your WK to
change that, though a better solution would be changing WK to make the
icon size depend on the CSS. Wild ideas that I can have now are:

     I. Playing with the padding and margin to see if you can find a way
        of leaving the same size of 16px but that is not hardcoded in
        the C++.
    II. Seeing if you can specify a custom property that has no effect
        when creating the boxes layout and that you can read from C++ to
        select the icon size.

Best regards.